"Horror" Books (Supernatural)

Alles over horrorboeken en horrorauteurs kun je hier kwijt!
tompitt

"Horror" Books (Supernatural)

Berichtdoor tompitt » 08 mei 2018, 14:59

HI,

This thread aims to satisfy a curiosity of possibly general nature: are there any four or five star horror books, apart from those listed (e.g. most of Hodgson), that such trusted sources as Eric or David know of? So far I have mainly used Lovecraft's essay for finding such works, but it is rather old (one hopes the last 70 years have brought something worth reading in the field), it doesn't exactly rate the authors and books it mentions, and I cannot stand Clark Ashton Smith, whom Lovecraft seemed to admire. Googling for "best horror books" and such terms produces nothing very useful, to my mind at any rate. (Of course, horror literature tends to be the kind where one can't tell from the first half or even two thirds of the book whether it is worth reading. I have always had trouble with such books unless they come highly recommended from trusted sources. Usually I don't read them.)What I like about Lovecraft is that the stories have no every-day beginnings, they begin with such arresting lines as "I am writing this under an appreciable mental strain, since by tonight I shall be no more" (showing the influence of Edgar Allan Poe), the best of them continue arrestingly through interesting narrative structures with everything told having the sole purpose of preparing the climax, yet they remain realistic and economical even in terms of language (for the most part) until the stupendous climax.

Please help.

I did not find the right solution from the internet.

References:
http://greatsfandf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=199
Explainer video agency

Thanks!

Terug naar “Horrorboeken”